The church was built in the early 1200’s at around the same time as the castle, and the magnificent Norman nave has survived with only limited restoration.
The Early English chancel was reconstructed in the 1870s by John Seddon, who rescued the whole church from a ruinous state and put in the glass screen dividing chancel and nave.
The church is described as “a noble Early English building” in the Gwent volume of “Buildings of Wales” series (2000) and is among the buildings featured by Simon Jenkins in “Wales Churches, Houses, Castles” (2008).
Today it is a centre of worship with regular weekly services, a church choir, Sunday school and the church bells are rung by local and visiting bands.
The Norman nave is used for a whole range of village activities, which have included archery, concerts, a regular village market, as well as ceilidhs, annual produce show, wedding receptions, and other celebrations.
St Nicholas Church
Further information in the guide book:
“St. Nicholas’ Church – Grosmont, Monmouthshire”available from the church.